Gábor Gion17:09 May 26, 2022
Place and date of birth: Novi Sad, 12 June 1967
Marital status: married, a father of three
Ministry of Finance
2018 – 2022 State Secretary for Financial Policy Affairs
2009–2017 Chairman and CEO
2007 – 2010 leader of the audit and risk advisory service line
2004 – partner
Ernst & Young Hungary
2002–2004 senior manager
Arthur Andersen Hungary
1998 – Registered auditor
1987–1992 Loránd Eötvös University of Sciences, Faculty of Science, mathematician
1984–1986 Vocational Secondary School – Svetozar Markovic, Subotica
1982–1984 General Secondary School – Svetozar Miletic, Srbobran
September 1986 – September 1987, Yugoslav People’s Army Duty station: Krizevci, Republic of Croatia, Yugoslavia
English, Croatian, Serbian – negotiation level
Russian – elementary level
- Gábor Gion is currently State Secretary for Strategic Planning and Human Resources of the Ministry of Defence.
- Between 2018 and May 2022, he was head of the State Secretariat for Financial Affairs in the Ministry of Finance. As state secretary, he was responsible for working out macroeconomy policy analyses and proposals, for the regulation of financial services, for international relations and financial institutions, for the EU strategy and OECD affairs, as well as filled the following positions:
- Chairman, OECD National Council
- Chairman, Anti-Money Laundering Coordination Council
- Chairman, Steering Committee, Hungary Green Bond Framework Program
- Chairman, Resolution Fund
- Member of the Board of Directors, National Deposit Insurance Fund
- Chairman of the Board of Directors, Start Garancia Ltd.
- In 2020, he led the negotiations on overdue hospital debt, during which he negotiated with close to 100 suppliers. He directed the Health Industry Support Program, which has an instrument of financial support worth HUF 67 billion (a project with HUF 87 billion total value) for the implementation of investment projects with annual potential revenue of at least HUF 170-180 billion in three phases.
- He led negotiations with Vienna Insurance Group on the acquisition of state-owned property in the insurance companies Aegon and UNION.
- He started his career in auditing at Arthur Andersen in 1992, then he resumed it at Ernst & Young in 2002. In what followed, in 2004 he became partner at Deloitte Audit and Assurance Ltd. Between 2007 and 2011, he was leader of the audit and risk advisory service line. In 2009, he became President and CEO of Deloitte Business and Management Consulting Ltd, and headed the office in Hungary for eight years. Besides his wide-ranging auditing and transactional advisory jobs, he was Country Managing Partner between 2009 and 2018 as well as EMEA regional China Services Group Leader between 2011 and 2018. Between 2016 and 2018, he was Chairman of the Board, SOS Children’s Villages Hungary.
- Since 2010, he has been honorary associate professor at the University of Miskolc.
Hungarian Chief of Defence gives presentation at International Armoured Vehicles Conference in London
11:48 January 25, 2023
On 24 January, Lieutenant General Romulusz Ruszin-Szendi PhD, Chief of the General Staff of the Hungarian Defence Forces gave a presentation at the International Armoured Vehicles (IAVs) Conference, which was held with the participation of more than 60 speakers and more than 40 countries in London. Also in attendance at the event was Brigadier General János Somogyi, Deputy Director of Staff (DOS) Operations of the HDF General Staff.
18:32 January 23, 2023
One important element in Hungary’s armed forces development program is the creation of the combat-worthy, strong armed forces, which conform with NATO’s concept for deterrence and are able to guarantee peace and the citizens’ security, said Brigadier General Dr. Imre Porkoláb, MoD Ministerial Commissioner for Defence Innovation at an international conference held with the title “Similarities, Differences and Possibilities of Cooperation in the Fields of Hungarian and Polish Armed Forces Development” at the Wacław Felczak Institute in Warsaw on 16 January.
14:07 January 20, 2023
On 18–19 January, leaders of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) and the representatives of Finland and Sweden held a two-day meeting of the NATO Military Committee in Chiefs of Defence Session at the NATO Headquarters in Brussels, Belgium. The event was attended by Lieutenant General Romulusz Ruszin-Szendi PhD, Chief of the HDF General Staff, who also met the Hungarian soldiers serving in Belgium and gave them recognitions.
13:51 January 20, 2023
On 18 January 2023, Major General Helmut Habermayer assumed command of EUFOR Operation Althea. At the Change of Command ceremony, the Hungarian Ministry of Defence was represented by Gábor Gion, MoD State Secretary for Strategic Analysis and Human Resources and Lieutenant General Zsolt Sándor, Deputy Chief of the General Staff of the Hungarian Defence Forces.
09:38 January 9, 2023
Like several other organizations, the NATO Multinational Corps Northeast (MNC NE) looks back on last year’s events on its social media page through photos presented by month.
20:36 December 14, 2022
The Canadian CAE, a high-tech firm at the leading edge of digital immersion, celebrated the 75th anniversary of its foundation in Normafa Event House, Budapest on Monday, 12 December. Having a Hungarian subsidiary company since 2009, this high-tech firm has been working to contribute to the successes of the Hungarian Defence Forces at several points beyond development: through its NATO Flying Training in Canada (NFTC) program to the training of fighter pilots, through the production of simulators for the training of Airbus A319 pilots, and through the simulator training provided for H145M helicopter pilots.
13:34 December 13, 2022
On Monday, 12 December Gábor Gion, MoD State Secretary for Strategic Analysis and Human Resources received a delegation from the National Defense Committee of the National Assembly of the Republic of Korea in the Ministry of Defence building on Balaton Street, Budapest. At the meeting, the two sides primarily discussed the possibilities for cooperation in defence industry and innovation.
The security of the Western Balkans is the common strategic interest of the United Kingdom and Hungary
10:16 December 13, 2022
The security of the Western Balkans is the common strategic interest of the United Kingdom and Hungary – said Defence Minister Kristóf Szalay-Bobrovniczky in a public media interview after his discussions in London on Monday.
16:06 December 12, 2022
“The life of our soldiers in Iraq is difficult not only because of the constant threat, but also because these Hungarian soldiers spend Christmas away from their families. I was happy to take with me and give them the personal gifts from their family and friends at home.”, reads the post written on 11 December by President of Hungary Katalin Novák on her Facebook page.
16:03 December 12, 2022
We, Hungarians are pro-peace, we don’t want war, we’d like to have peace in our homes, our country and on our borders – emphasized President of Hungary Katalin Novák on Saturday, 10 December in Erbil military camp, Iraq, where she met Hungarian soldiers.