Gábor Gion17:09 May 26, 2022
Place and date of birth: Novi Sad, 12 June 1967
Marital status: married, a father of three
Ministry of Finance
2018 – 2022 State Secretary for Financial Policy Affairs
2009–2017 Chairman and CEO
2007 – 2010 leader of the audit and risk advisory service line
2004 – partner
Ernst & Young Hungary
2002–2004 senior manager
Arthur Andersen Hungary
1998 – Registered auditor
1987–1992 Loránd Eötvös University of Sciences, Faculty of Science, mathematician
1984–1986 Vocational Secondary School – Svetozar Markovic, Subotica
1982–1984 General Secondary School – Svetozar Miletic, Srbobran
September 1986 – September 1987, Yugoslav People’s Army Duty station: Krizevci, Republic of Croatia, Yugoslavia
English, Croatian, Serbian – negotiation level
Russian – elementary level
- Gábor Gion is currently State Secretary for Strategic Planning and Human Resources of the Ministry of Defence.
- Between 2018 and May 2022, he was head of the State Secretariat for Financial Affairs in the Ministry of Finance. As state secretary, he was responsible for working out macroeconomy policy analyses and proposals, for the regulation of financial services, for international relations and financial institutions, for the EU strategy and OECD affairs, as well as filled the following positions:
- Chairman, OECD National Council
- Chairman, Anti-Money Laundering Coordination Council
- Chairman, Steering Committee, Hungary Green Bond Framework Program
- Chairman, Resolution Fund
- Member of the Board of Directors, National Deposit Insurance Fund
- Chairman of the Board of Directors, Start Garancia Ltd.
- In 2020, he led the negotiations on overdue hospital debt, during which he negotiated with close to 100 suppliers. He directed the Health Industry Support Program, which has an instrument of financial support worth HUF 67 billion (a project with HUF 87 billion total value) for the implementation of investment projects with annual potential revenue of at least HUF 170-180 billion in three phases.
- He led negotiations with Vienna Insurance Group on the acquisition of state-owned property in the insurance companies Aegon and UNION.
- He started his career in auditing at Arthur Andersen in 1992, then he resumed it at Ernst & Young in 2002. In what followed, in 2004 he became partner at Deloitte Audit and Assurance Ltd. Between 2007 and 2011, he was leader of the audit and risk advisory service line. In 2009, he became President and CEO of Deloitte Business and Management Consulting Ltd, and headed the office in Hungary for eight years. Besides his wide-ranging auditing and transactional advisory jobs, he was Country Managing Partner between 2009 and 2018 as well as EMEA regional China Services Group Leader between 2011 and 2018. Between 2016 and 2018, he was Chairman of the Board, SOS Children’s Villages Hungary.
- Since 2010, he has been honorary associate professor at the University of Miskolc.
Innovation increases defence capability
09:51 June 2, 2023
Innovation has a key role in increasing defence capability and modernizing the Hungarian Defence Forces, said Brigadier General Imre Porkoláb, CEO, Defense Innovation Research Institute (VIKI) Nonprofit Ltd. at a capability demonstration organized by the VIKI in Budapest on 31 May.
11:39 May 31, 2023
“Once again, our soldiers have performed their duty heroically”, stated Defence Minister Kristóf Szalay-Bobrovniczky at Liszt Ferenc International Airport, Budapest on 30 May.
German armored troops at Tata
11:21 May 30, 2023
As part of the German–Hungarian land forces cooperation, Brigadier General Björn F. Schulz, Commander, Bundeswehr Panzertruppenschule (Armored Troops School) recently arrived in Hungary and paid a visit to the HDF 1st Armored Brigade in Tata on 24 May.
Observers on air reconnaissance exercise
11:56 May 24, 2023
The international students participating in the 42nd International Military Observer Course (IMOC) recently practiced air reconnaissance. The course is running in the HDF Peace Support Training Centre (HDF PSTC) between 8-26 May.
Military attachés at the HDF Military Port
16:26 May 22, 2023
On 17 May, the military attachés accredited to Hungary paid a visit to the HDF 1st EOD and Riverine Guard Regiment. Several interesting programs awaited the members of the delegation at the HDF Military Port.
The brave are going on exercise
16:13 May 22, 2023
More than 1000 troops from four nations are participating in Exercise Brave Warrior 2023. Speaking at the opening ceremony of the two-week event held on 21 May, Brigadier General Gábor Lőrincz, Commander, HDF Land Component Command welcomed the lined-up troops at Újmajor Base (Camp Croft).
Commemorating the greatest glory
16:04 May 22, 2023
On Sunday, 21 May, the participants of an event held in Buda Castle – organized on the occasion of the Day of the Hungarian Defence Forces and coupled with wreath-laying and cannon shots – commemorated the 174th anniversary of the recapture of Buda Castle.
The peace of the Western Balkans is the security of Hungary
13:03 May 18, 2023
On Wednesday, 17 May, according to a yearslong tradition, this year’s handover-takeover of the chief of staff positions of EUFOR Operation ALTHEA and NATO Headquarters Sarajevo (NHQ Sa) took place at a joint ceremony held in the capital of Bosnia-Herzegovina. Lieutenant General Dr. Gábor Böröndi, Chief of General Staff, Hungarian Defence Forces was also present at the event organized in Camp Butmir, Sarajevo.
Pilgrims attend Holy Mass underground
12:37 May 16, 2023
On Sunday, 14 May, the 63rd International Military Pilgrimage (IMP) in Lourdes ended with a closing international Holy Mass and ceremony held in St. Pius X Basilica (Underground Basilica). Following the mass, the members of the participating delegations – among them, the Hungarian military pilgrims who had arrived there on Thursday – bid farewell to the town located in Southern France by forming up to march with the national colors and take an official photograph of the IMP.
Where God’s beauty glows
12:30 May 16, 2023
“Lourdes is the place of conversion and encountering God, where God’s mercy manifests itself in the shining figure of Mary, where one can experience God’s beauty in the clear water of the fountain and the glowing candlelight. Lourdes teaches us that love is stronger than evil.” (Brigadier General Tibor Berta, Catholic military bishop)